Friday, October 24, 2008

Analysis of the short story

Author's point of view:

The author showed us the example of cowardness. I think he wanted to tell readers not to act like Morton and always stand for your honor. We can judge by his wife's behaviour, that she was not satisfied how her husband just run away from the problem. The fact that she hurried to the house,where she can busy herself with her familiar tasks tells us about her dissapointment in her husband; and it really was a problem. Problem of socioeconomic class's relationships. Morton,who is probably physically more weaker than the guy in a park, shouldn't take his family and go away with shame. In front,he is supposed to protect them from all the bad factors that fall on their heads.It is man's duty. I think author is symphasizing to Morton's wife. If compare her behaviour at the beginning and at the end of the story we can see some changes. "She felt as if all three of them were tracking mud along the street." - the author says.


Personal reflection:

If I were on his place, i would probably stand till the end. It is better to be beaten, but to save your honor and honor of your family than to look weak and defenseless in the eyes of people who are close to you. And what an example he shows to his son? His son will act the same when he'll grow up. He will run in the face of difficulties and danger. And his words that "it wouldn't prove anything" seem to me just like apologizing his cowardness.

4 comments:

Ahmed said...

I wish you could write the Personal Reflection because i would like to know how you would act if you had the same situation.

and by the way, the auther is famile not male lol

LekNuntida said...

Good guy,GS. I am really impressed^^ with your response.

LekNuntida said...

I forgot to give the reason why I was impressed. It's because you seems to care some people who are close to you rather than care others. I really agree. One of my friends reminded me that sometimes we care some people who ignore us but ignore some people who care us (such as parents). It is too sad to do so because some people who are close to us should become the first priority. Even though I never support anyone to use force against each other, I was impressed with your good intention.

Chikokz said...

Thank you for understanding,Lek!!!)))